Thursday, May 07, 2009

New found fitness level

Today Andy Perry and I did our longest run so far: 9.4 miles in 1:20 (8:33 min/mile). It included hills and single-track bridleway sections and it was drizzling, so not ideal conditions.

The pleasing thing is that we did part of this route 3 weeks ago when we ran 7.8 miles at 8:35 min/mile pace so today we were ever so slightly faster and went 1.6 miles further, but my average heart rate on the first run was 156bpm but on today's run it was only 146bpm.

So further, faster, and more easily.  

I'm putting this down to an increase in my cycling volume: the Isle of Wight 82 mile day and I've been commuting for the last 2 weeks.  Commuting means doing 5.2 miles as quickly as possible so I've had a good mix of short high-effort cycling, medium-duration medium-effort runs and long low-effort cycling.

I am feeling a bit stiff now though :)

PS The drizzle was enough to dampen our clothing and when we finished I had slightly chafed nipples.   I asked Andy if his were sore and he said no.  But a minute later I noticed that he had blood on the front of his shirt.  Turns out his nipples were completely numb and he'd rubbed one raw.  Ouch.

1 comment:

Anna Finn said...

Fantastic - well done you fit thing you!

Personally I love running in light rain.

As for nipple chafing, you can prevent this by wearing a proper wicking-material shirt and/or using vaseline.